Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Other Boleyn Girl

I always wanted to read this novel because Ive heard a lot of good reviews about it, i had second doubts buying this then because first, this is not my kind of genre when it comes to books i usually buy chick lit novels because they are my favorite. Second, i thought this novel will bore me because it's a historical fiction book that is based on the life of 16th-century aristocrat named Mary Boleyn but, i was wrong. Ever since i started reading this novel, i cant put it down every page is filled with action and passion. 



"Two sisters competing for the greatest prize: the love of a king

When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family¹s ambitious plots as the king¹s interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.


A rich and compelling tale of love, sex, ambition, and intrigue, The Other Boleyn Girl introduces a woman of extraordinary determination and desire who lived at the heart of the most exciting and glamorous court in Europe and survived by following her own heart."

I'm always fascinated about the Tudor period (period between 1485 and 1603, specifically in relation to the history of England). I always admired the way the people speak during this time and their style of dressing, i love the corsets, long dresses and headpieces. This novel takes me to that era and it made me understand more about life back then. I would say that there are some similarities that i noticed in their court with relation to our government nowadays when it comes to power and corruption. The Other Boleyn Girl is a passionate tale of love, intrigue, ambition and betrayal. I definitely recommend this novel to you guys. 



There's also a movie version of it starring Natalie Portman (Anne Boleyn), Eric Bana (King Henry VIII) and Scarlett Johansson (Mary Boleyn). I havent watch it yet, i hope it's as good as the novel. 




Any other good reads that you can recommend to me? :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment